Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Cross

In Christianity, as with all religions there are many symbols of faith. Today in Church, I was looking up at the icons and the menorah and the different objects adorning the walls of the sanctuary and I looked at the Cross. Instantly, I began to think about the Lossky book I have been reading. The last chapter I had read talked about Orthodoxy as a process of aligning one's will with God's will. In that description, sin was anything against God's will, even if that action was "moral" in the conventional sense. As I looked at the Cross I saw two wills, the will of God, standing upright and the will of humanity laying across it. Then Christ's body nailed to the Cross, bringing the will of man, which is at cross-purposes to the will of God, into union with God. I felt like I had stumbled on something profound, but alas, I am sure it is not such an uncommon observation.

No comments: