Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Diffusing stupidity

A few days ago, Nicole and I had a pretty big fight. Looking back it was about stupid stuff. What snapped me out of the anger was looking at my son. As his parents gave each other the silent treatment, he needed someone to hold him. I picked him up, still feeling the tension and obstinance of my fight with my wife.

Almost instantly, my bad feelings, my anger, my self-righteous need to win were wiped from me. I apologized to Asher for acting the way I did and then I apologized to Nicole.

Had Asher not been around, I may have stormed around in my upset mood for the rest of the night. I thank God that my son was there to help me diffuse my stupidity.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I understand that feeling... knowing you're being stupid in a fight, but not necessarily being able to control it. Sometimes I'll look at Richard, still be mad at him, but give him a hug because I know I'm being dumb, and i do want to make up. It's nice that you have Asher to bring you two closer :)

Nic said...

it was really me being stupid in that fight... brent was mostly just reacting.

Susan said...

Hey...I know how that is....Justin and I both react and are stupid in fights....and boy have we had some nasty fights since Jacob was born. Jacob kinda got use to it and just waited until we stopped and made-up & kissed and lissed him. At first he would cry if Justin was using a harsh tone...he is very protective of his mommy. But we realized how stupid we are being and just decided we need to communicate better...and I need to get over my little hang-ups.


BIG HUG AND KISSES for my COUSIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

e.b. said...

I feel like being married forces you to think beyond yourself. When you are dating, even engaged, one can still be selfish. You can entertain thoughts about being separate, self-indulgent, alone. When you are married, if you want to stay married, you have to give a little up to make things work. It is a lifetime of compromise. It just gets more compromising as kids come into the picture.